Valve updated the policy for new Steam accounts recently. From now on you won’t be able to do those things in the list below until you actually pay at least $5 on Steam (probably 5€ in Europe?). Adding retail CD-Keys to the account won’t remove those restrictions either, which is good because there are tons of free CD-Keys on the net that you can add to your account.
Limitations for new Steam accounts are:
- Adding friends
- Creating a group chats
- Voting on Steam Greenlight, Reviews and the Steam Workshop (yes!)
- Market share in the Community
- Frequent writing on Steam forums
- Unlocking higher levels of Steam Levels and Trading Cards
- Adding materials to the Steam Workshop
- Writing in the comments to the Steam Workshop materials
- Access to the Steam Web API
- Using the browser and mobile chat
I know that paying for those things might seems stupid but at least the spamming accounts won’t be bothering us that often. Good job Valve.